Your user account password is the password that you use to Log On to Windows Vista™ when your system fully boots or when your computer wakes up from various power saving states. If you have forgotten your password and have previously created a password reset disk, here is how to use it.
To Retrieve Your Password Using A Password Reset Disk
- If you receive a message that says your user name or password is incorrect, do the following:
- First click on OK to clear this Log On error message.
- Then insert the media, such as a flash drive, that you used to create a password reset disk.
- Now at the log on screen, click on Reset password.
- When the Forgotten Password Wizard window appears, click on Next.
- Then locate the drop down box stating: The password key disk is in the following drive:
- Now select your portable media drive letter next to it and click on Next to continue.
- Then type a new user password, and type it again in the confirmation field.
- You should also type a password hint that will remind you of the password if you forget it.
- Now click on Next and then click on Finish to close the forgotten password wizard.
- You can now Log on to Windows Vista with the new password that you just created.
- Remove the password recovery media from your computer and store it again in a safe place.
Note: You only need to create a password reset disk for your user account password once. Even if you change your password multiple times, this disk will always allow you to create a new password.