10base-5, also known as thicknet, refers to the original cabling standard for (IEEE 802.3) 10 millions of bits per second (Mbps) baseband local area networking (LAN) transmission. The cabling is similar to RG-8/U coaxial cable with a 0.375 inch diameter and an impedance of 50 ohms. Network nodes are attached via a 15 pin Attachment Unit Interface (AUI) to transceivers that tapped into the bus. The 10 refers to its transmission speed of 10 Mbps.The BASE stands for baseband signaling, and the 5 stands for the maximum segment length of 500 meters, which is approximately 1,600 feet.
Amazon Warehouse Deals • Enjoy Deep Discounts
- Deep discounts on open-box items like TVs, laptops, tablets, home audio, home goods and more!
- Every deeply discounted and open-box item is hand-checked and graded!
- Eligible items sold by Amazon Warehouse Deals qualify for Prime or FREE Shipping!
- Amazon Warehouse Deals are backed by Amazon Customer Service!
- All discounted and open-box items are backed by Amazon's 30-Day Return Policy!